Saturday, February 9, 2013

ONTARIO 2011 ---LICENSE PLATE with BRAMPTON frame

ONTARIO 2011 ---LICENSE PLATE with BRAMPTON frame
car photo frame
Image by woody1778a


GERMANY, BERLIN 2009 license plate with BERLIN FRAME
car photo frame
Image by woody1778a


ALBERTA 2008-2011 ---LICENSE PLATE WITH ---with AUTO ROW, EDMONTON PLATE FRAME
car photo frame
Image by woody1778a


427 Cobra left side frame rail, from front.
car photo frame
Image by wbaiv
Here's a murky photo of a murky area of the real car. A bit right of center is the end of the left hand frame rail tube, with a flat cap welded to it to seal it off. Outboard of that, to the far right in the frame, is the lower A arm of the left front suspension. To the left is the front cross-piece of the ladder frame. The bare metal colored pipe in the left middle is almost certainly a cooling system tube, connecting to the low corner of the radiator (center right in this photo) and the header tank or engine above the left edge of the photo.

DSC_0532


Red smart-car
car photo frame
Image by Ed Yourdon
You don't see many "smart cars" in Manhattan, and most of them are a relatively unremarkable black or white. This one -- fire-engine red, with a black roof and trim -- stood out like a bright red tomato.

I tried to photograph the car from the sidewalk, but had to stand so close (in order to avoid including some nearby bicycles) that I could actually see myself reflected in the window and shiny, reflective paint on the car. So I waited for the traffic light to change, and walked out into the middle of the street to photograph it from the other side...

Note: this photo was published in an Oct 6, 2010 blog titled "Now for a four door Smart car."

*********************

This is part of an evolving photo-project, which has continued throughout the summer of 2008, and into the autumn: a random collection of "interesting" people in a broad stretch of the Upper West Side of Manhattan -- between 72nd Street and 104th Street, especially along Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.

I don't like to intrude on people's privacy, so I normally use a telephoto lens in order to photograph them while they're still 50-100 feet away from me; but that means I have to continue focusing my attention on the people and activities half a block away, rather than on what's right in front of me.

I've also learned that, in many cases, the opportunities for an interesting picture are very fleeting -- literally a matter of a couple of seconds, before the person(s) in question move on, turn away, or stop doing whatever was interesting. So I've learned to keep the camera switched on (which contradicts my traditional urge to conserve battery power), and not worry so much about zooming in for a perfectly-framed picture ... after all, once the digital image is uploaded to my computer, it's pretty trivial to crop out the parts unrelated to the main subject.

For the most part, I've deliberately avoided photographing bums, drunks, drunks, and crazy people. There are a few of them around, and they would certainly create some dramatic pictures; but they generally don't want to be photographed, and I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of them. I'm still looking for opportunities to take some "sympathetic" pictures of such people, which might inspire others to reach out and help them. We'll see how it goes ...

The only other thing I've noticed, thus far, is that while there are lots of interesting people to photograph, there are far, far, far more people who are not so interesting. They're probably fine people, and they might even be more interesting than the ones I've photographed ... but there was just nothing memorable about them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More